With E3 2016 behind us and plenty of fantastic games to look forward to, we’d like to look back at the greats of the past and welcome Gamnesia readers to a new feature where your voice is heard: tournaments. If you’ve ever wanted to pit the best games history has to offer against each other in an all-out fight for supremacy, we’ve got you covered.
This tournament’s theme: Role-Playing Games (RPGs). The games: that’s where you come in!
We want this tournament to be as dedicated to you readers as possible, so for the next week we want you to nominate your favorite RPGs by commenting and voting each other up in the comments section below. The tournament will be held in four rounds, the first two of which will pit four games against each other in a Smash-style battle royal, where you vote for the games you want to see make it to the top! The game that you guys give the most votes in any particular match-up will move on to the next round of the tournament.
For the first two rounds we’ll be posting a new matchup every day, so be sure to keep checking back here at Gamnesia if you don’t want to miss your chance to vote for your favorite games! The semifinal round will pit two games head-to-head for each match-up, and you’ll have three days to vote on each one before the week-long final round between the top favorite games from each tournament seed kicks off.
We’ll reveal the first bracket on Sunday, June 26th, before kicking off the first round of match-ups on Monday, June 27th.
We want you to nominate a single RPG for the tournament by leaving us a comment below (make sure you’re logged in!). Nominations will be accepted through 11:59 PM on Sunday, June 26th, at which point they will be categorically sorted into the bracket. While we do not want to knock out too great contenders towards the beginning, in the name of balance and representation from a variety of games, we’ll be sticking to this strategy. Our goal is to have 64 total entrants, but if we don’t quite make it (or should we exceed this benchmark) we’ll do our best to make it work.
We realize the category is rather broad, so to try and keep entries focused, we’ll mostly be looking at the following criteria:
- The game must have some sort of leveling or skill progression system
- There must be a discernible story
- There must be battles (they do not have to be turn-based, however)
- The game has to be out by the time the tournament starts on June 26 (No E3 nominees, please!)
- You can only nominate a single game, so choose wisely!
The Voting Process
Once the tournament begins, the voting will all take place here at Gamnesia! We’ll be creating each poll through Easy Polls and embedding them in the posts for their respective match-ups—so hashing it out in the comments is wonderfully fun, but once the match-ups begin, the poll results themselves will have the final say. As mentioned above, the voting period will lengthen in later rounds, so here’s a quick overview of the process:
- Rounds 1 & 2: Each free-for-all match-up will last for a single day, from 12:00 AM EST to 11:59 PM EST. For these rounds, we will be posting a new match of four participants each day.
- Round 3: In the semi-final matches, individual match-ups will be between only two games, and the voting period will be extended to three days, from 12:00 AM EST on the day of the post, to 11:59 PM on the third day. All votes must be submitted on the post announcing the match-up. For this round, we will be posting a new match every few days.
- Round 4: Voting for the final match will last an entire week, and we’ll be including short editorials arguing in favor of each side within the match-up post.
You can follow us on
Facebook and on Twitter to stay in the loop on the tournament’s progress, but remember that all voting and nominations will only be done right here at Gamnesia. This tournament will only be as great as you make it, so be sure to spread the word, get your friends involved, and most importantly, vote! Which game will come out on top and be crowned the “Ultimate RPG?” Tune in to find out! May your favorites have a high natural luck stat and the battles be ever fierce. Let the games begin!