Update: The newest Famitsu issue has now been officially released, allowing for more and much better scans. Check them all out in the gallery below!
Original: While we were inevitably going to learn more about Fire Emblem Warriors, the second Nintendo-themed Dynasty Warriors adventures, at E3 in a couple weeks, Famitsu has let loose some new information about the Nintendo Switch and New Nintendo 3DS title early. The popular gaming magazine has revealed three new playable characters and numerous other aspects of gameplay that call back to the Fire Emblem series.
To no one’s surprise, Marth from
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light will join Chrom from Fire Emblem Awakening as two playable series characters in Fire Emblem Warriors. The other two characters shown off are original, and they take the form of royal twins (Fire Emblem Heroes feels, anyone?) named Shion and Lian.
Unfortunately (or maybe not, depending on your
FE tastes), it was announced that characters will mostly be pulled from three installments in the series: Shadow Dragon, Awakening, and Fates. The game will not be a gathering of series protagonists according to developers, however, as that would result in the majority of characters using swords.
Fire Emblem Warriors will also feature series callbacks and new developments, such as:
- retention of the weapon triangle and class system (Pegasus Knights should still stay away from Archers, for example)
- bond conversations to replace support conversations, as there will be no marriage
- a lengthy, fully voiced script
- two additional original characters who were not pictured or detailed in these scans, Darios and Yuana (update: these have been revealed as the royal twins’ mentor, whom they think of as a brother, and their mother, respectively)
- the ability to switch characters during gameplay
- a mystical “Shield of Fire” that sounds important to the world and story
- more playable characters than any other initial entry in a Dynasty Warriors collaboration franchise
With the game through 70 percent of its development, according to Famitsu, Intelligent Systems is continuing to supervise in regards to characters and settings.
Fire Emblem Warriors has a release window of Fall 2017 for the Nintendo Switch and New Nintendo 3DS. You can peruse scans of the Famitsu pages in the gallery below.
Does this make you more excited for
Fire Emblem Warriors? Do you think we will see more at E3? Or do you think it is a shame we will not see many characters beyond the three titles already discussed above? Let us know in the comments!