Back in January, Nintendo Direct offered us a look at a trailer merging the popular puzzle game Puzzle & Dragons to the Nintendo classic Super Mario Bros. Nearly a month later, GungHo Entertainment Online has provided us with a new trailer of Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition that offers prospective details on its gameplay and dynamics.
Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition starts off with the classic Mario introduction: Bowser uses his absurd power to kidnap Princess Peach, the damsel in distress, and Mario and Luigi band together to go and rescue her. However, the game no longer carries the well-known gameplay that any normal Mario game usually offers. Now, instead of bonking your head against bricks and jumping atop Goombas, you will fight and encounter familiar sequences and characters with a Puzzle & Dragons-style battle. This means that there will be an array of interchangeable characters and transformations for you choose from, including:
- Fire Mario (Leader Skill – Fire): will increase the attack power and healing rate of fire-type comrades by x1.5
- Statue Mario (Leader Skill – Mario’s Divine Favor): will increase the attack power of an ally by x3 if said allies’ health is above 50%
- Ghost Mario (Leader Skill – Ghost Power): will increase the attack power of all allies by x2.5 when attacking 3 or more different elemental types
- Tail Luigi (Leader Skill – Tail Aura): will increase the health and attack power of wood-type allies by x1.5
- Yellow Yoshi (Assist Skill – Friendship Power Light): will triple the attack power of allies using water, wood, and light abilities
- Green Yoshi (Assist Skill – Friendship Power Wood): will triple the attack power of allies using fire, wood, and dark abilities
- Red Yoshi (Assist Skill – Friendship Power Fire): will triple the attack power of allies using fire, wood, and light abilities
In addition to this Puzzle & Dragons gameplay dynamic, there will also be the option of creating unlimited team set-ups and choosing team leaders to accommodate certain boss types and difficulties. As the game progresses, there will be the option to level up and transform characters using Toad’s House, though some transformations will only be accessible with special items found in-game.
Are you excited for Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition? Leave your comments below.