Last generation, Nintendo struggled through underwhelming sales figures for Wii U, and when it was all said and done the two-screen console ended up as Nintendo’s least successful major home console of all time. Times have sure changed. Nintendo Switch has been lighting up the sales charts around the world this generation, including in Nintendo’s home country of Japan.
According to the latest sales data from popular Japanese publication Famitsu, Nintendo Switch has now passed 5 million total sales in Japan. The total is currently estimated at 5,007,368. This milestone was achieved in 79 weeks, which comes out to about 63,384 units sold per week. Famitsu also compiled a list of the five top-selling games on the console in Japan, which are as follows:
- Splatoon 2 (07/21/17, Nintendo) – 2,621,928
- Super Mario Odyssey (10/27/17, Nintendo) – 1,788,228
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (04/28/17, Nintendo) – 1,738,502
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo, 03/03/17) – 1,065,780
- Kirby: Star Allies (Nintendo, 03/16/18) – 591,721