Recently, we learned that Niantic Labs CEO John Hanke doesn’t approve of Pokémon-tracking sites like PokéVision that have popped up since the launch of Pokémon GO earlier this month. Hanke stated that such sites may not work in the future, and it appears that we may have reached that future. Since the update to the game that released yesterday, several Pokémon trackers are no longer functional, with several sites sharing cease-and-desist orders online. PokéVision stated on Twitter that they are “respecting Niantic and Nintendo’s wishes” and will share news when they can.
Yangcheng Liu, the person in charge of PokéVision, told Kotaku that the outage is not being caused by high traffic, and also told Forbes that the site could possibly be down for good. This comes alongside the same update that removed the step-counter from Pokémon entirely rather than fixing the infamous three-step glitch, and that’s drawing outrage from a lot of fans who are now left with no functional way to track down Pokémon that they want.
While sites like PokéVision are no longer functional, Poké Radar and other similar sites are still operational; this is because PokéVision pulled information from the game using Niantic’s API and was able to display information on what Pokémon are actively available. Poké Radar, on the other hand, collects user reports of Pokémon that have appeared in an area, which is less accurate but likely doesn’t violate the game’s terms of service.
What do you guys think? Are you happy that they shut these sites down, or do you wish that they had at least fixed the game’s tracker first? Sound off in the comments!
Hey guys. We wish we had some news for you
At this moment, we are respecting Niantic and Nintendo's wishes.
Will keep you guys posted
— Pokevision (@PokeVisionGo) July 31, 2016