According to a recent blog on the WordPress blog KevinCallahanGames, Diddy Kong Racing 2 is currently in development for Wii U. This is the only post on this blog, and we have little to no information about the author, so take all of these rumors with a grain of salt.
The blogger states that Retro Studios and Monster Games are collaborating on a sequel to the Nintendo 64 classic, and that Monster Games also attempted to develop a Diddy Kong Racing game for the Wii.
Here’s a rundown of Diddy Kong Racing 2‘s development timeline:
- In 2006, Nintendo asked Monster Games to develop a reboot of the series for a new generation of children.
- Nintendo wanted the title to be as different from Mario Kart as possible; this led to an idea for animal kart transformations based on partner animals in the Donkey Kong Country series.
- Nintendo canceled the sequel after the low sales of Donkey Kong: Barrel Blast and Diddy Kong Racing DS; they were also unable to obtain some characters from the original game from Microsoft. The animal transformations were later used in Monster Games’ Excitebots for the Wii.
- After the great sales of Mario Kart Wii and Donkey Kong Country Returns, Nintendo asked Retro Studios and Monster Games to collaborate on a new Diddy Kong Racing game. Because of this project, Nintendo asked Retro to help with Mario Kart 7; Monster Games ported Donkey Kong Country Returns to the 3DS and helped Retro in the development of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.
- The sequel features the animal transformation idea from the previous project as well as the original game’s hub world. It features local and online multiplayer, and the GamePad is used to find collectibles.
- Kensuke Tanabe (producer of Returns and Tropical Freeze) wanted Dillon from Dillon’s Rolling Western to be a racer in the game; this led to the idea of Nintendo’s lesser characters being included in the game, such as Mallo from Pushmo and Rusty from Rusty’s Real Deal Baseball.
- Diddy Kong was removed from Mario Kart 7 and 8 as a result of this game.
- Nintendo avoided showing the game at E3 this year to avoid sabotaging Mario Kart 8; Diddy Kong Racing 2 will likely be revealed and released in 2015.
This is either a legitimate leak, a crackpot theory, or an outright lie; it’s really a toss up. All of the points made make sense, and the idea of a kart racer for Nintendo’s underdog characters is really intriguing.
What do you guys think of the rumor?